Attendance is extremely important to us at North Cambridge Academy. This is because research demonstrates high levels of attendance and punctuality are crucial in ensuring students achieve their best academically and socially. North Cambridge Academy is committed striving for excellence. Therefore, for a student to reach or exceed their potential, a high level of attendance is essential.
We wish to continue to work in partnership with parents and carers and so seek your full support in ensuring that your child attends the academy every day, on time.
The target attendance figure for all students is a minimum of 98%. Based on current attendance figures your child has been placed in one of the groups below. Your child will be informed of their Attendance Group. The groups are outlined in the posters below.
There are a number of important steps that you can take to ensure your child maintains a high level of attendance
- Ensure your child attends every day, on time (by 8.40am at the latest), equipped and ready to learn.
- Ensure the academy has up to date addresses and telephone numbers. We will contact you by text, through parent mail or by telephone if your child is absent and you have not contacted the academy.
- If your child is ill, contact the academy every day your child is absent and provide an explanatory note on their return to the academy. Contacts for the house offices are below.
- If no contact is received regarding an absence, it is recorded as unauthorised. Ultimately the academy is responsible for deciding if the absence is authorised or not. (For your information, a Penalty Notice may be issued in relation to a child whose attendance at school is less than 90% including unauthorised absences over a given period and a range of interventions have been implemented by the academy to raise the attendance.)
- Only genuine absence will be authorised. You will be asked to provide medical certificates and/or proof of medication if your child has a poor attendance record.
- Ensure that medical appointments are made outside of academy time.
- Avoid trivial absence, these will not be accepted as a reasonable absence.
- Holidays will not be authorised during term time for any reason. (For your information, guidance states that ‘any parent who takes a child out of school for term time leave for 6 consecutive sessions (3 days) or more over a 4 week period, not authorised by the school (under exceptional circumstances rule), may receive a Penalty Notice. Therefore, Penalty Notices will be issued for single event absences of at least 3 consecutive school days or more where these absences are unauthorised because they are neither exceptional nor unavoidable.’)
- Respond to academy letters or telephone calls regarding attendance and punctuality.
- Contact your child’s tutor if you are experiencing difficulty in getting your child into the academy.
The telephone numbers of each house office are:
Fitzwilliam House: 01223 491503
Churchill House: 01223 491502
We look forward to continuing to work in partnership with you to achieve the highest possible levels of attendance and punctuality at North Cambridge Academy.
- Our Attendance and Holidays Policy can be found here
- NCA Absence request form can be found here
- Our Term dates are here: http://www.northcambridgeacademy.org/academy-life/term-dates/